Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

8.2 Beige Beach, Cerulean Sky, Aquamarine Ocean, Green Jungle

Slim Novel 8 - http://adventuresofkimi.blogspot.com - See Homepage


2. Beige Beach, Cerulean Sky, Aquamarine Ocean, Green Jungle

Following day finds me in a seaplane with Fuji’s Old Sergeant as pilot.

Guadalcanal is 9 degrees south of Equator. Flying east along the north coast, the pilot shouts “Get ready to land!” Looking ahead I see a small lagoon. Our plane turns inland then north, skimming low over jungle, passes over beach and sets down on smooth water of the lagoon. Pilot opens cockpit and turns to me.
   “Here we be, end a yer line.”
   “But how do I get ashore?”
   “Swim. Them's Kunnel Fuji’s awdas.”
   “But …?” This my first experience with Fuji’s ghastly sense of humor.
   “C'mon, git in da drink! Gotta deliver da mail ta Tulagi an’ be back ta Rabaul by night.”
   “But …?” I have no desire to jump into shark-infested water. Pilot solves my problem by a Lugar pistol in my face. “Kunnel's awdas, Lieutenant! Ahm gonna count ten. Then phtt!”

Water warm, no shark encounter, fifteen minutes to swim and I stagger ashore out of surf. Nothing but gently curving beige beach, cerulean sky, aquamarine ocean, green jungle. Looking to jungle edge I discover a trail and set out along it soaking wet but my clothes dry quickly in the equator heat. The trail is alive with sounds: a dark-brown, yellow-bill myna bird screams from low-lying branch; a white-crest cockatoo gazes down disdainfully from tall palm and shits small turds on my head; flying monkeys momentarily stop search for fruit to chatter angrily at my approach. And I have not anticipated the fury of the Guadalcanal mosquitoes that now attack my face and bare legs with a force that only fresh outside blood can explain.

  After ten minutes stumbling on the trail I arrive.
     To read on, now, click 8.(3-5) Restless Natives - We Are Expendable

No comments: