Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

9.(3-5) Stranger on the Train - The Coach Approach

Slim Novel 9 - http://adventuresofkimi.blogspot.com - See Homepage


3.  The Coach Approach
A man’s voice: “Sorry to disturb. Things are boring in my coach, may I sit?” She has no reason to refuse and from the expensive well-cut suit, educated speech and well-fed body she guesses, a doctor or businessman. His broad face dominated by thick gray mustache suggests age late 50s. A black leather travel bag which he places on adjacent seat is stuffed to bursting.
   “Mind if I drink?”
   “Not at all. Please feel at ease.”
   He pulls table stand from wall and takes bottle and 2 shot glasses from bag.
   “Allow me,” she says, topping his glass with tangy, sharply smelling amber fluid.
   “Don’t you drink?”
   “Not when I travel. But not to worry; relax and enjoy.”
   He downs one then another and another. Soon he has removed jacket, loosened tie, opened top button at collar, stretched his black stockinged feet across to the empty aisle seat beside Kimi’s.

4. God Was in His Heaven
He is the Doctor of a community off the south tip of North Island, and returning from a Medical Convention. Looking in his bag, he pulls out a scrolled paper strip.   
   “Electrocardiogram! It shows my heart’s inner working. The company selling the machine took a tracing on me.” He unrolls the front end and its far end falls to floor and unrolls, trailing a narrow strip of recording paper across aisle.
   “See here, how the tracing jumps regularly.” He pencil-marks recurring blips.  
   “It is clear. My artery is narrowing but I never knew until this tracing. No sign, no symptom but one of these days not far in future, the artery will clog and I shall die.” He downs another drink. “So, you see, this trip changed my life. Before it I was content; God was in his heaven and all was right with my world. But now that is over, ended, kaput, finis!” He gives a brief laugh. “God has come out of heaven and touched me.”
   Announcement interrupts: “Train will shortly arrive at Northport.” Outside it is now dark.
   “Madam, you are such good company! You make a dying man want to live another night at least." He makes a shadow of a smile. "I do not know your plans. May we spend the night at Northport, together? I know a charming inn overlooking the Straits. “It is not a proposition.” He laughs, this time with humor. “I just want to talk.”

5. All the Time in the World
Serving girls glide back and forth along shiny wood corridors carrying trays of deliciously fragrant north-style food – vinegared white crab chunks, baked cod in piquant sauce and thick udon noodles in hot brown soy-and-fish-based soup.
   They dine by open window which during daytime gives view of blue off the Straits between North Island and Main Island. Full moon with stars and mild sea breeze add to the pleasure. Kneeling traditionally on fresh-smelling tatami floor in yukata wrap-around gowns of white background and lily flower motif, they face each other across cuisine-covered low table.
   After ice tea with green bean gelatin yokan, the serving girls lay a sleeping mat, prepare an adjoining bath and bow out, the sandaled feet pitter-pattering away along the hall and down the stairs.
   The doctor continues. “You must understand, this is not my whim. Each man or woman, if one gives it thought, is going to have to face it. It might come with the breast cancer lump felt in morning shower, the spot on a chest x-ray that surprises you, the new worrisome symptom, the odd frightening sign. One’s life ruined by knowledge inserted into one’s mind, that one is going to die not in an undefined, un-believed future but soon, with a gasping for breath, a sharp pain and, worst of all, un-tranquil because the Fates ripped life away. And the horror is the suspense! Every little twinge I once shrugged off now grabs my chest in a fist of fear.
   "As soon as I saw my fate traced on the paper strip I left the convention to drink whiskey and if I had not met you…?  I cannot stand this not knowing when.”
   She looks at him with question but his burst of philosophy is ended and she has nothing to add.
  Doctor (She has begun to think of him in the one word) is silent, eyes tightly closed, hands balled in whitened fist on tabletop, body rhythmically rocking back and forth. His breath begins to come quick and his face tightens as he battles emotion.
   She comes around to be beside him and putting hands on his shoulders holds him and stays beside him while his tears wet her gown.
   He’s just like a child, she thinks, as we all would be in the same situation. It’s good I’m here. A sexual feeling fills her lower part.
   To read on now, click 9.6 Middle Age Lust

No comments: