Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

15.21 An Old Person's Worldview

Slim Novel 15 - http://adventuresofkimi.blogspot.com - See Homepage

21. Conversation with a Geriatrician

Starting 3rd year medical school, Eddie chose for his 6-week elective, Geriatrics, the study of the aging person.
   He reports to a small office of geriatrician, Dr Edgar Smith. After introducing the daily duties, Dr. Smith comes out from behind his small desk and invites Eddie to a stroll out on the hospital grounds.
   "I like a natural setting, young fellow."
   Smith has a full head of white hair and droopy mustache and wears a senior doctor's long hospital white coat. He speaks with Boston accent.
   It is an early September morning; leaves are just turning gold and the air is filled with smell of their fragrance. They walk on the grass and come to a bench within the hospital grounds. The old doctor sits down and Eddie follows on his left. "Well, my boy, what ever decided you to choose me for your elective? I am totally unappealing to young fellows."
   "Pure curiosity, sir. I have only the slightest idea what a geriatrician does."
   "You certainly are an original. Here I am, not witless but doubtless" - he chuckles - "an old geezer, a professor in medical school and even more than that a man of 83 who still has his marbles. Allow me to shoot a few in your direction."
   "When one is that rare bird who manages to pass age 80 on his feet with wit and wits, as I have." He raps on wood. "And, atheist, as I strongly am. And, especially a physician and successfully self psychoanalyzed." He stops at Eddie's quizzical look. "I mean I have figured out honestly why I do what I do or think what I think. I know clearly I shall die soon and rest in peace because I'll have no other choice - my dead body will rot and my consciousness stop. When one knows all that, one's attitude clarifies to the most practical essence.
   "The older I get the less I fear death and the less I fear consequences. I do not mean I am fearless. I take care. I want to live happily long as I can succeed at it. But it is nowhere near how you a young fellow feels. I live less and less for a future and more and more for the moment. I no longer live life on my knees as I did when younger and as most men do for life, slavishly worrying about following rules or are dhering to received opinion."
   Smith notes the question in Eddie's look. "I am law abiding as long as I cannot get away with breaking the law. "I use morphine every day - get it from another doc for an unethical reason, have a delightful addiction and by the time it starts harming me - if it ever does - I'll be too old to care. And I love my daily shot above all. It is a main reason to live on now into my 80's. I go to a local prostitute and in contrast to when I was 40 or 50 and would hide it, now I want to boast of it. And I am richer than ever. Consider, at 83, with a life expectancy of maybe 5 years, whatever savings one has is no longer needed for savings because of the short remaining lifespan.
   "And I no longer must think the good old christian love-thy-neighbor. I despise my neighbor for a dolt and look forward to dancing on his grave.
   Smith puts his right hand on Eddie's shoulder. "That is geriatrics young man. Now enjoy the next 6 weeks and grow older along with me."
 For next, click 15.22 Back in the Library - Idiot Savant

No comments: